Re: elisp help needed

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: elisp help needed
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 23:26:18 +1100

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:

> RD <rjjd@localnet.com> writes:
>
>> Robert D. Crawford wrote:
>>> I have the following lines in my .emacs file:
>>
>> (remove-hook 'w3m-after-cursor-move-hook #'w3m-print-this-url)
>>
>>and for some
>>> reason, to get it to eval I have to do it by hand every time I
>>> restart emacs.  I *think* this might be the only code that is not
>>> being evaled, but I do not know any way to be certain.  I know that
>>> there are things below this line that are being correctly evaled.
>>> All the code in the customize section seems to be ok, and I have a
>>> function that byte-compiles .el files when they are saved that works.
>>> Is there some way to know what is being evaled?  Thanks, rdc
>>>

>> I use the old "print" method.  I salt my .emacs file with (message
>> "blah") commands to report progress.
>
> Yeah, I thought about doing this, but it seemed there should be a better
> way.
>>
>> Is there a command after the remove-hook that puts the hook back?
>
> That is a good question.  I looked at the documentation for the
> function and it says:
>
> w3m-print-this-url is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `w3m'.
> (w3m-print-this-url &optional INTERACTIVE-P)
>
> Display the url under point in the echo area and put it into `kill-ring'.
>
> This function is advised.
>
> After-advice `emacspeak':
> Produce auditory icon.
>
> The changes that emacspeak makes on the hook come from the file
> emacspeak-w3m.el I think.  I guess it could be that the file is not
> loaded until after the .emacs file is loaded and w3m is started for the
> first time.  I am going to put some message lines in the file to see
> when it is loaded.
>
> If it is the case that the file is not loaded until after my .emacs,
> what can be done to take care of this, outside of editing the source of
> the file itself?  I think that is a very bad idea.

Robert,

I think something changed in the emacspeak-w3m which stops this
workaround for removing that function. However, if you look into the
customize group for w3m, you will find there is a hook variable which
adds that function, so you can just remove it. From memory, it is
w3m-after-cursor-move-hook.

Tim

--
Tim Cross
tcross@rapttech.com.au

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.