Re: Emacs as the desktop?

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Emacs as the desktop?
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:39:39 -0600

"gamename" <namesagame-usenet@yahoo.com> writes:

> Malte Spiess wrote:
>> "gamename" <namesagame-usenet@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I normally run emacs inside a vnc session with "blackbox" and the
>> > desktop manager.  Is there any way to simply use Emacs as the desktop
>> > manager instead?

Window manager?

>> So, do you only want to run Emacs or also other applications?
>
> Only emacs.

If Emacs is the only app you want to run, and don't use more than one
frame, then you can always run Emacs in X without a window manager.

If you want an unobtrusive window manager to run Emacs in (not what
you asked for, I know), then something like ratpoison would do the job
nicely.

But you asked about an actual window manager (I think) that is run by
Emacs, I don't think there is one, but there is one run by XEmacs,
namely XWEM (www.xwem.org).

Jay