ediff naming buffers (newbie alert)

From: bhenz
Subject: ediff naming buffers (newbie alert)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:45:32 -0500

Hi,

(I running emacs 21.4.1)

I am trying to hook into the "ediff-startup-hooks" but ediff completely ignores my attemps. I have the following code in my .emacs file...

(require 'ediff)

;; Get rid of the annoying little (separate) ediff window and

;; turn it into a 3rd pane in the main emacs window.

(setq ediff-window-setup-function 'ediff-setup-windows-plain)

;; Put files side-by-side

;(setq ediff-split-window-function 'split-window-horizontally)

(defun my-ediff-startup-hooks ()

   (
this-is-destined-to-fail)
)

(add-hook 'ediff-startup-hooks 'my-ediff-startup-hooks)

OK, so the "this-is-destined-to-fail" is a desperate attempt to get ediff to do SOMETHING, but even this doesn't generate any warnings or errors! which pretty much tells me ediff is NOT using my startup-hook.

Any ideas? Does anyone have example code of doing this similar sort of thing. (Preferrably something simple like just a "print" statement in the new startup hook?

Thanks in advance,
Bob