Editing Files Like /etc/hosts

From: Annamalai Gurusami
Subject: Editing Files Like /etc/hosts
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:31:17 +0530

Hi All,

Suppose I am currently logged in as a normal user, and am using emacs
for editing some files.  And while in the middle of such an emacs
session, I would like to change the file /etc/hosts.  How can I open
this file such that I can edit it?

If I do something like this

C-x C-f /root@localhost:/etc/hosts RET

I am getting login incorrect, because I think by default we cannot
login as 'root' in a ftp session.

Environment: 'GNU Emacs 21.3.2' on 'Slackware 10.0.0'.

Rgds,
anna

--

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.     http://www.paradoxicalcommandments.com