Re: SubEthaEdit style networked editing

From: david . reitter
Subject: Re: SubEthaEdit style networked editing
Date: 14 Mar 2006 06:13:28 -0800

> The situation I am finding myself in is when 2 -> 5 people wish to edit
> the same document at the same time, and see everyone else's changes
> appear in realtime. Is such a setup even possible in Emacs?

Someone seems to be working on implementing connectivity to SubEthEmacs
and presumably to other instances of Emacs:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SubEthaEmacs

Implementing connectivity from Emacs to Emacs, would be entirely
possible. A very simple way, for example, would be to use Unix `diff'
to find the patches applied in the last minute, then transfer and apply
on the other end. Real 'live' editing shouldn't be too hard either -
for example alongside current "Undo" functionality, which records the
latest changes.

Needless to say, none of this is usable yet. Somebody needs to do more
work on it!