Re: Finding files with tags

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Finding files with tags
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:24:17 -0700

mlathe wrote:
Lacking? No i guess not. I didn't get it to work in its entirety, but i
didn't really try very hard. (also it was kind of slow, but i think that's
b/c its doing a sed on all of my 12MB TAGS file. I need to do a grep first
or something).

> So thanks for the effort. I'll draw something up based on your example.

I wouldn't expect `grep | sed` or awk to be any faster than sed.
My guess is that the performance bottlenecks are (1) splitting the sed
output into a list of strings, (2) running ls on all those file names
(ls sorts its output), and (3) parsing the output in dired.

Another Question. This seems to be a very helpful feature. It seems to me
that my colleagues are aways trying to remember where a certain file lives
or doing a cd ../../../../foo/bar/path to move around. Can you think of a
more common way of doing a similar indexed search? (i guess jde-mode does
this for java files pretty good).

See the recent thread re: globalff.el on gnu-emacs-sources:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-emacs-sources/2006-03/msg00014.html

--
Kevin Rodgers