Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:40:14 -0700

Phillip Lord wrote:
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: "Phillip Lord" <Phillip.Lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
Or alternatively you could use the emacs-version variable, and
have your .emacs work appropriately. You'd need check that your
`custom-file' is being set appropriately.

But this won't solve the original problem, as I understand it: that
Emacs updates .emacs when you save certain settings.  Setting
`custom-file' is not going to resolve this 100%, as some packages
write to .emacs.

I agree. The disabled commands option writes to .emacs. If I may be so bold, I think that this is a problem with emacs. Really, all packages which write to somewhere should be configurable through a single variable.

diasable-command and enable-command write to user-init-file, if it exists. If it doesn't exist, it writes to ~/.emacs.

So put this in ~/.emacs:

(or (file-exists-p (setq user-init-file
                         (expand-file-name (concat ".emacs-"
                                                   emacs-major-version)