Re: Using calculator for switching from decimal to hexadecimal

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Using calculator for switching from decimal to hexadecimal
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:57:28 +0200

Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladolidt@terra.es> writes:

> David Kastrup escribe:
>> Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladolidt@terra.es> writes:
>>
>> > Can I use the emacs calculator to switch from a decimal *big* value to
>> > its hexadecimal value and vice versa?
>> >
>> > I press H, enter 102BC09F, press D and get 2867359 which is simply
>> > 2BC09F, can I override this range limit?
>>
>> You could use Emacs calc.
>>
>> C-x * q 16#102bc09f RET C-y
>>
>> 271302815
>>

> C-x * is undefined here (NT Emacs 21.3.1), which major mode is needed?

I had been assuming that you were using a developer version of Emacs
(like that from <URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex>) since I did
not realize that Emacs 21.3 already came with some sort of calculator.

My personal recommendation would be to give the CVS Emacs a try: this
is bound to be less painful than fetching the last released version of
Emacs calc, patching it up in order to work with Emacs 21 (as
described in the PROBLEMS file) and ignoring the remaining issues
fixed since then.

I think that this would be the least painful way to get high precision
arithmetic in Emacs.