displaying international characters

From: Ali El Dada
Subject: displaying international characters
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:23:34 +0200

Hi,

I used to be able to type a whole range of chacters in emacs, for example phonetic symbols, letters with dots below them, etc, and all from my custom made xkb keyboard. Now, after doing some updates to my system during the last few months, I try to type the same characters and it doesn't work in emacs, although it still works in, say, the web browser. Any hints where I'm doing wrong?

I have the language environment set to UTF-8, which is also set as the encoding to save the file with. And emacs should still have the fonts, because I can still see the special characters well-displayed in old files. When I try now emacs doesn't even type a box for a missing character, it doesn't even respond :(

M-x emacs-version says: GNU Emacs 21.4.2 (i386-mandrake-linux-gnu...

Thank you.

Ali