Re: rebinding iso keys

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: rebinding iso keys
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:48:53 +0200

Am 04.04.2006 um 13:52 schrieb josh:

1) binding interactively, executing repeat-complex-command, and then
yanking out of the mini-buffer was certainly a clever idea to get what
I wanted, but what's the "real" way? Is there no way to look up the
correct code? Where is it stored?

So, where is this stored, and how can I look up the code? Like I said,
using repeat-complex-command was clever, but what's the "real" way of
doing this?

I can't tell! I think I've seen a few times that the data C-h k gave me did not work in global-set-key. From this list I knew this trick and use it excessively and successfully.

I think GNU Emacs uses environment variables like LC_CTYPE, LC_ALL, LANG to determine in which format data from the keyboard enters. I have some UTF-8 set. I have from this setting the problem of converting UTF-8 to ISO 8859-15 encoding as used in my .emacs. When you use the trick of interactively binding a key and retrieving it with repeat-complex-command, you insert for example UTF-8 data from the keyboard that is automatically converted into ISO 8859-15 format!

Variables and commands used in this area are set-keyboard-coding- system, set-terminal-coding-system, set-clipboard-coding-system, set- selection-coding-system, ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Das Militär ist eine Pflanze, die mensch sorgfältig pflegen muss, damit sie keine Früchte trägt. (Jacques Tati)