Re: How to mark a rectangle

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to mark a rectangle
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:08:45 +0300

> From: "billy" <bp1497@att.com>
> Date: 6 Apr 2006 08:31:28 -0700
>
> I have searched this news groups and searched the manual pages.  I can
> find nothing, probebly overlooking, as to how to mark a rectangle.  I
> find plenty of stuff to deal with it, but not how to get it.

Strange, I see this in the Emacs manual (Node "Rectangles"):

       When you must specify a rectangle for a command to work on, you do it
    by putting the mark at one corner and point at the opposite corner.  The
    rectangle thus specified is called the "region-rectangle" because you
    control it in much the same way as the region is controlled.  But
    remember that a given combination of point and mark values can be
    interpreted either as a region or as a rectangle, depending on the
    command that uses them.

Can you explain how did you searched and why did you miss this?  I
suspect that something in the manual needs to be improved to make
finding this easier.

TIA