Re: asynchronous process management on WinWP; buffering problem?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: asynchronous process management on WinWP; buffering problem?
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 05:13:38 +0900

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
> I do not understand this so I have some (perhaps stupid) questions:
>
> - What determines how the buffering works?
> - Can a program like Emacs change this behaviour?
> - When does the buffering works differently? In a "console"? Is cmd.exe
> a "console"? But is it not just another program?

In unix-like systems, typically a program will test whether the output
stream (stdout) is a terminal or not using something like the
"isatty(1)" function (which is a POSIX standard function I believe).
If it's a terminal it will use line-buffering, if not, it will use a
larger fixed buffer size (which is more efficient).

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?