RE: winows emacs - portable app

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: winows emacs - portable app
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:08:36 -0700

    > M-x load-file

    But note that this will not always have the same effect as loading
    .emacs as an init file, because Emacs loads the init file half way
    through its startup procedure, precisely in time to customize certain
    aspects of the appearance before they are set to default.  For
    example, if your .emacs is setting parameters of the initial frame,
    those settings will not work if you load .emacs after startup.

I'm not an expert here, and I don't know how you happen to launch Emacs, but
if you do it from (the equivalent of) a command line, and you use the "-l"
option to load a file, then the same processing that Eli described for
.emacs will take place for that file. At least that's what I find wrt the
initial frame, standalone minibuffer frame etc.

That is, it's true that doing some stuff in .emacs is different from doing
it after you're inside Emacs, but you can do stuff in a file (e.g. your
.emacs or foo.el) that you load explicitly via command-line option -l, and I
believe that gives the same behavior as doing that stuff in your .emacs.

This sound confusing as I re-read it. Anyway, I do this sometimes when I
don't want to mess up my .emacs or even rename it temporarily for some
reason. I just do what I want to do in a file foo.el and use emacs -l
"foo.el" to simulate doing it in .emacs.