Re: winows emacs - portable app

From: Ryan Moszynski
Subject: Re: winows emacs - portable app
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:47:38 -0400

darn, ran into a major problem . . .

this is the first time I've actually tried to use this on a lab
computer(where i don't have administrative rights) for an extended
period of time.  After a couple of minutes emacs starts throwing this
error

Creating directory: permission denied, c:/.emacs.d

the error of course, is because i don't have permission to create that
file there.  It throws this error 20 or so times when i can just get
rid of it with C-g, but then all of a sudden it does it one too many
times and then crashes.  Which means, every time I use emacs, after 5
or 6 minutes i'm saving every five seconds, because i know the program
is getting ready to crash . . .

by the way, once i get this worked out and working, i'm going to
present it to the portable app guys, and if they don't want to host
it, I'm at least going to write a tutorial and publish it, somewhere .
. .

It seems surprising to me that no one else has done this yet, or am i
just missing something?