RE: bash and reverse-search-history

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: bash and reverse-search-history
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:45:09 -0700

    > >I'm using bash inside emacs and want to use the
    reverse-search-history
    > >of bash, bound to C-r. Unfortunately, C-r is interpreted by emacs and
    > >doesn't apparently reach bash. How can I use this function of bash
    > >from
    > >within emacs?
    >
    > I don't know. By escaping? What is so bad about Emacs' own shell
    > history?

    Do you mean M-r? Two reasons:

    1. It's not as convenient for me as the bash's one shows what it found
       as I type, and with emacs' one I have to modify regexp on the next
       run.

    2. I couldn't find a way to search the whole bash history. When I type
       some expression that I know is in ~/.bash_history, emacs says "Not
       found".

I don't know if this helps you or not, but you might take a look. Icicles (a
library for GNU Emacs) lets you search the entire history (your #2),
updating matches as you type (your #1). I don't know what you mean by "have
to modify regexp on the next run".

Anyway, take a look:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_History_Enhancements. That
discussion is in the middle of the Icicles doc, so if it's not immediately
obvious how it could apply to your question you might read some of the
introductory material. The doc entry point is here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles.