Re: python mode

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: python mode
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:11:38 +0200

Am 22.04.2006 um 12:34 schrieb Gary Wessle:

I thought that python.el file is included in the installed emacs as it
has been indicated in the wiki, do I need to get it and place it in
where the other .el files are?

In my distributions of GNU Emacsen the standard python.el file is located in lisp/progmodes. The file is not (pre-)loaded by default, it must be loaded when needed as for example htmlize-view or AUCTeX or preview-latex etc. If an Elisp file has a provide statement, you can require it, otherwise you need to load if. You can you use the autoload function to load an Elisp automatically when it's needed, maybe this way:

        (autoload 'python-mode "python" "Handle Python files appropriately." t)

But actually such a finesse is not needed since GNU Emacs loads the code into memory late, when actually needed for to do specific work. So a simple load or require statement in .emacs is good enough.

--
Greetings

  Pete

There is no national science just as there is no national
multiplication table; what is national is no longer science.
         -- Anton Checov