Re: bash and reverse-search-history

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: bash and reverse-search-history
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:24:59 +0200

Hello Kevin,

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 04:02:08PM -0600, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> > 2. I couldn't find a way to search the whole bash history. When I type
> >    some expression that I know is in ~/.bash_history, emacs says "Not
> >    found".
>
> Does `C-h v comint-input-ring-file-name' in the *shell* buffer agree
> with "~/.bash_history"?

The command produces the following output:

comint-input-ring-file-name's value is "~/.bash_history"
Local in buffer *shell*; global value is nil

Documentation:
*If non-nil, name of the file to read/write input history.
See also `comint-read-input-ring' and `comint-write-input-ring'.

This variable is buffer-local, and is a good thing to set in mode hooks.

You can customize this variable.

Defined in `comint'.

I'm not sure what you mean by "agree". I'm able to scroll through
.bash_history via M-p, but M-r finds only expressions that I typed
during the current session.

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.