menus; syntax highlighting does not seem to work (SUSE 10.0 Linux)

From: Karl Sommer & Meryl Hale
Subject: menus; syntax highlighting does not seem to work (SUSE 10.0 Linux)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:02:24 +1000

I have been using a recent windows version of emacs on my PC mainly for
editing Latex files.  I have come to appreciate the syntax highlighting
which makes it much easier to structure the text.

Recently I have downloaded, compiled and installed release emacs 21.4 on a
SUSE 10.0 linux system.  Compilation and installation seemed to work ok.
However, I soon noticed that the menus cannot be invoked with the mouse and
my tex files do not show any syntax highlighting after invoking M-x
font-lock-mode except for some characters that are changed to bold typeface.
There is however no colour.

Am I missing something?

Some quick pointers would be appreciated

Cheers
Karl