Re: identifiing strings and comments in program source files (to skip th

From: Peter Tury
Subject: Re: identifiing strings and comments in program source files (to skip them over)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:05:30 GMT

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:38:52 +0200, martin rudalics wrote:

> To check whether searching stopped in a
> comment or string you could parse from `beginning-of-defun' or something
> similar instead - `syntax-ppss' does that.

Thanks for this detailed explanation also! My problem is that I have legacy
code (with ~1 MB source files sometimes) and I can't really imagine
anything for beginning-of-defun. E.g. C-like /*...*/ works for commenting
and whole subprograms can be commented out... In other words: I think I
should have to start parsing everytime from the beginning of the buffer...

Any idea? Or 1MB source files are not too big for this on today's PCs?

Br,