Re: file permissions

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: file permissions
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 22:50:50 +1000

evaristegalois <evaristegalois@hotmail.com> writes:

> This is probably a simple problem but I can't find anything on it in the
> manual.
>
> I have emacs version 21 on my ubuntu (linux) computer. Everytime I save a
> file in emacs it is saved with file permissions that allow me to read, write
> and execute the file, but nobody else. Then I upload the file on the net to
> use it on a different computer and can't access it because I am forbidden
> access because I am no longer ``myself'' on a different computer. Right now
> I change the file permissions by hand using the chmod command.
>
> But for convenience I would like Emacs to save my files right away as files
> that can be read, written to or executed by anybody. How can I accomplish
> this?

There are a couple of ways to address this issue. However, I'm a bit
confused regarding your description.

When you upload a file to another account on a different computer, the
file should be owned by the remote account owner (i.e. your identity
on the remote system). As the file is owned by the remote account, it
should be possible as the remote user identity to modify its mode. In fact, I
would have thought the file would have recieved whatever the umask
setting is of the remote user account.

What method are you using to transfer the file to the remote system?
What does a long directory listing show as the owner, group and
permissions of the file on the remote system once it has been
transferred?

The simple solution is to change your umask on your originating system
in your .profile (or whatever the init file for your shell is).
However, I think this is not a good solution as it will reduce your
privacy/security on the source system - to what extent that is an
issue only you can judge. However, I suspect there is a better
solution then this quick 'fix'.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au