NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 9 May 2006 Lisp NYC: Peter Seibel presents Practical

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 9 May 2006 Lisp NYC: Peter Seibel presents Practical Common Lisp
Date: 7 May 2006 23:19:50 -0400

  what="official Lisp NYC announcement">

 From: Heow Eide-Goodman <lists@alphageeksinc.com>
 Date: 03 May 2006 23:29:01 -0400
 Subject: [Lisp] Reminder: Lisp Meeting, May 9th 7:00 at Trinity

 Please join us for our next meeting on Tuesday, May 9th from 7:00 to
 9:00 at Trinity Lutheran Church.

 Peter Seibel presents: "Practical Common Lisp"

     "Should we vacation in Bali or Monaco?"  ....is the query
     put forth to Miss September.  "Well Peter," she says with
     perfect lips "Bali has better food, but Monaco has the
     'Sushi-Girl Backrub Team'".

 Indeed life can be a chore, for these are the daily tortures of the
 Productivity Winners of the 16th Annual Jolt Product Excellence Award in
 Technical Books!

     Miss September giggles: "What were you thinking when you
     decided to write a book on Lisp ...in 2005?"

     "I wasn't thinking that it would be the #1 top selling Lisp
     book on Amazon."

     "Nor was I thinking that it would go as high as #2 in the
     Languages & Tools category, #4 in Programming, #11 in
     Computers & Internet, and #543 in all books."

     "I also wasn't thinking that Apress would have to do a 2nd
     printing, they were really grumpy about that."

     "...and I never dreamed I'd have such a deep appreciation
     for backrubs and Balinese food."

 Peter Seibel is an ex-Java programmer who quit his job to buckle down
 and finally learn Lisp, shortly thereafter he completed "Practical
 Common Lisp".  Having finished the book, Peter is now available for
 consulting projects--Lisp and otherwise--as the chief monkey of
 Gigamonkeys Consulting.  He is currently serving on he Board of
 Directors of the Association of Lisp Users.

 Directions to Trinity:

   Trinity Lutheran
   602 E. 9th St. & Ave B., on Thomkins Square Park
   http://trinitylowereastside.org/

   From N,R,Q,W (8th Street NYU Stop) and the 4,5 (Astor Street Stop):
     Walk East 4 blocks on St. Marks, cross Thomkins Square Park.

   From F&V (2nd Ave Stop):
     Walk E one or two blocks, turn north for 8 short blocks

   From L (1st Ave Stop):
     Walk E one block, turn sounth for 5 short blocks

   The M9 bus line drops you off at the doorstep and the M15 is near get
   off on St. Marks & 1st)

   To get there by car, take the FDR (East River Drive) to Houston then
   go NW till you're at 9th & B.  Week-night parking isn't bad at all,
   but if you're paranoid about your Caddy or in a hurry, there is a
   parking garage on 9th between 1st and 3rd Ave.