TRAMP doesn't work with ido-mode WAS: TRAMP doesn't work anymore

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: TRAMP doesn't work with ido-mode WAS: TRAMP doesn't work anymore
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 22:48:53 +0200

Hi Michael,

> Unfortunately, you don't mention Tramp's and Emacs' version. Let's
> assume you're using Tramp 2.1.6-pre and GNU Emacs 22.0.50 (the latter
> one is obvious from your User-Agent header line).

Ah, sorry. I use the TRAMP version bundled with GNU Emacs 22.0.50, last
CVS update 20 minutes ago.

,----[ C-h v tramp-version RET ]

`----

> In other words: it should work now ...

Not for me, so I fiddled a bit arround in my ~/.emacs and found the
problem. I use `ido-mode' for both file and buffer behavior, and it
seems it doesn't work well with the new TRAMP behavior.

,----[ ~/.emacs ]
| (require 'ido)
| (ido-mode 'both)
`----

If I uncomment the ido-stuff I still get this buffer...

,----[ *tramp/ssh su* ]
| ssh: su: Name or service not known
|
| Process *tramp/ssh su* exited abnormally with code 255
`----

...but I can continue to complete the path, and at some point TRAMP
starts loading. With ido enabled emacs doesn't accept new input after
the *tramp/ssh su* buffer appears, or better, the new input is directed
to this buffer.

Regards,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!