ido.el, usability when saving a new file

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: ido.el, usability when saving a new file
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:26:29 +0100

I have a question about ido.el.

In general, I find it works very well and am a compulsive
user. However, there is a problem when saving a new file.

Be default it offers something like

~/emacs/theNewFileToSave.txt

which is fine if it's where you want it to go. But otherwise,
you have to delete "theNewFileToSave.txt" and then navigate to the
directory that you want.

When you get there, say

~/scratch

you now have to type the file name in again (if you select ~/scratch
alone, ido asks you if you want to overwrite the file which already
exists.

Funnily enough, the windows selector dialog used to have the same
problem, although they have fixed it now.

Anyone got any suggestions. Am I missing something?

Cheers

Phil