Re: gnuserve switches to the old Emacs window but does not open the file

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: gnuserve switches to the old Emacs window but does not open the file
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:57:02 +0200

Bernhard Koenig wrote:
I'm using a Windows machine with Emacs 22.0.50.1.
I also installed the gnuserve package and it seems to be correctly installed,
my .emacs contains
(require 'gnuserv)
(setq gnuserv-frame (car (frame-list)))
(gnuserv-start)
(defadvice server-find-file (around ignore-percent-one (file) activate)
  (if (or (not (string= "%1" (file-name-nondirectory file)))
          (file-exists-p file))
    ad-do-it))
At times, when I use the command "gnuclientw -F filename.txt" this will only
switch to the old emacs window but NOT open the file "filename.txt". Once
this happened, I cannot pass any more files to this old window but have to
close it. Closing then produces a beep on my machine, while usually emacs does not
beep when exiting. In the message box, the line "Server subprocess exited"
appears sometimes, which seems to be related to this problem.
The problem shows up sometimes but not all the times, I couldn't quite figure out when it does and when not. E.g. if I click two files with gnuclientw in a very short interval, then it usually works. The longer the interval, the more
likely the problem occurs.
There are several gnuserve packages. Please use the latest from EmacsW32 (http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html) or Guy Gascoigne-Piggford website.

There is a name clash between the package server.el and gnuserv.el in the old packages.