Emacs as an external flowed-text editor?

From: Bjoern Voigt
Subject: Emacs as an external flowed-text editor?
Date: 12 Jun 2006 13:10:16 +0200

Hello!

I know that Emacs is capable of encoding and decoding of format=flowed
text within Gnus.

But I want to use Emacs as an external editor for text based mailers
like Pine or Mutt. In normal mode Emacs deletes the trailing spaces with
fill-paragraph (ESC-q) and in auto-fill-mode. But this trailing spaces
should be preserved for format=flowed text.

There is a library gnus/flow-fill.el in Emacs. But how can Emacs be
configured to use the library in text modes?

Björn