Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 10:18:46 +0200

Am 16.06.2006 um 16:42 schrieb RjjdBae:

I use "more" in the shell window because I use the shell window, and I
want to pause output conveniently.

Learn to use isearch! In Emacs you can scroll up and down, what not every terminal emulation allows. It's inappropriate using more in an Emacs shell.

The first time I heard of eshell and term is today!  I tried each:
eshell exits when I execute a script that contains an "exit".  term
doesn't pass ^H to emacs.  And eshell didn't get my .cshrc right; some
commands didn't work, e.g. "set".

Add some if's to .cshrc! This way your eshell can bypass codes that only makes sense in an xterm or such.

There is some way to bind the backspace key to the delete-backward- char function. I do not know by heart how to.

How is it when your shell scripts exit a particular positive non-zero numerical value? The shell script's interpreter usually returns a return value of 0 when during execution nothing failed ...

The only problems I have with shell is this column 80 thing,
current-directory's getting lost, and having to execute "dirs" upon
changing directory from within a script.

I am using the simple shell in GNU Emacs since decades, because it's sufficient for almost all purposes. Its TERM value is dumb and I do not have an 80 columns problem, at least I do not use silly utilities that can make me aware of such a "restriction." Set up your environment correctly! Think of .emacs_<shell interpreter>!

The value of cwd can get lost, I know, this happens to me, too. Do you set some cdpath? Do you have directories with non-ASCII components in the name? SPACE should work. I think when cwd gets lost it has to do with incorrect customisation, but I never tracked this down, I either killed the *shell* buffer and created a new one or re- launched whole GNU Emacs. With session or desktop the old layout buffers are restored ...

It might be useful to use the info function and read a bit about shell, term, and eshell.

--
Greetings

  Pete

     _o    o         o   o