Re: Should the fonts listed by xlsfonts be used by emacs?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Should the fonts listed by xlsfonts be used by emacs?
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:07:59 -0600

c.c wrote:
I found the answer, the manual says:

"
   If you specify a default ASCII font with the `Font' resource or the
`-fn' argument, Emacs generates a fontset from it automatically.  This
is the "startup fontset" and its name is `fontset-startup'.
"

I think the 'emacs -fn' wants a ASCII font name, but the name I gave
is a mbyte font name, so Emacs can't generate a fontset correctly.

That seems plausible, if you substitute "unibyte" for "ASCII" since
Emacs has no problem with e.g. the ISO 8859-* fonts specified via -fn
or a Font resource.

--
Kevin