Re: emacs init and mode-maps

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: emacs init and mode-maps
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:03:25 +0200

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:12:33 -0600
Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:

#>>> Why would it be undesirable to have sh-mode-map (and other
#>>> keymaps) already defined (by dumping it into emacs via an
#>>> autoload cookie)?
#>>
#>> When you say "other keymaps" do you mean only those that are part
#>> of official Emacs distribution or those provided by additional
#>> modules user might have installed as well?
#>
#> Only those that are included in Emacs itself.

In that case, I would answer your earlier question with "because it
creates an asymmetry between how built-in and external packages work."

Honestly, I do not quite see the point of your suggestion. It seems to
me that loading a package when you want it sufficiently easy to do.
And autoloading everything doesn't strike me as a good idea.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal
capable of conversing with inanimate objects.