w32-use-full-screen-buffer is not working for me. Any help?

From: deegerstormcrow
Subject: w32-use-full-screen-buffer is not working for me. Any help?
Date: 29 Jun 2006 15:20:10 -0700

Hello all,

I'm using Emacs 21.3 on Win XP in a console.  I've set
w32-use-full-screen-buffer to nil in my .emacs file but it doesn't work
quite right.  When emacs first starts it uses the full buffer (instead
of the window size).  However, as soon as I press a key emacs appears
to determine the window size and reset itself correctly.  This wouldn't
be such a bad thing except that when it is in full-buffer mode it
overwrites the whole buffer with the file.

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks,
DG