Re: emacs and smtpmail

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: emacs and smtpmail
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:13:29 +0100

"harry meyers" <late@literaturlatenight.de> writes:

> I am currently switching from XEmacs to Emacs, some things work "out of
> the box" for me, some others not. I want to send mail via smtp and
> added these lines to ~/.emacs (which I copied word by word from my
> ~/.xemacs/init.el. But with emacs they don't work.
[...]
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.1und1.de" 25 "xxxxxxx"
> "xxxxx")))
[...]
> What did I miss?

The smtpmail library in released versions of Emacs doesn't have
authentication support.  Does your version of the smtpmail library
define and heed `smtpmail-auth-credentials' ?

If not, you can get a more recent version of the library with support
for authentication from the Emacs CVS Repository:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el
or from the contrib directory of a recent version of Gnus.