Re: emacs and smtpmail

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs and smtpmail
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 17:23:47 +0300

> From: jpw@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington)
> Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 13:51:41 +0100
>
> "harry meyers" <late@literaturlatenight.de> writes:
>
> > (setq smtpmail-smtp-service "25")
>
> Aha.  How about setting this to the integer 25 ?

FWIW, I was tripped by this as well, back when I started using
smtpmail.  The documentation should be clearer on the type of the
value, IMHO: it currently could be interpreted as if "25" is allowed,
and will be magically converted to a number:

      The variable `smtpmail-smtp-service' controls the port on the
    server to contact.  It is either a string, in which case it will be
    translated into an integer using system calls, or an integer.