Re: different behaviour between emacs on linux and emacs on windows

From: Ted
Subject: Re: different behaviour between emacs on linux and emacs on windows
Date: 5 Jul 2006 20:32:55 -0700

Hi Johan

Thanks.

Johan Bockgård wrote:
> "Ted" <r.ted.byers@rogers.com> writes:
>
> > Instead, I have to remember where all my files are and type in the
> > full path and file name.
>
> Have you tried the TAB key?

Maybe this shows how little I have used Linux in recent years, but what
would using the TAB key do for me, other than insert a tab in whatever
text I am working with?

> > Is there a dialog of the sort I value available in emacs running on
> > Linux, just hiding somewhere waiting to be found and enabled?
>
> It depends on which toolkit Emacs was compiled with. File selection
> dialogs are available with the Motif/LessTif (and GTK for Emacs 22)
> toolkits. Also, a dialog is only used if you invoke the command
> through the file menu, not when you use the keyboard. (And
> use-dialog-box must be non-nil, but it should be by default.)

Having used Windows and OS/2 extensively, I normally use the file menu
if I want to do something with a file.

How would I find out?  I am using the default configuration of emacs
that is used by  SUSE Linux version 10, if that tells you anything
useful.

Thanks,

Ted