Re: C-M-anything gives no response

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: C-M-anything gives no response
Date: 9 Jul 2006 13:32:15 -0700

Robin Wilson wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >
> > Also, does it help to invoke "emacs -nw -q"?  Perhaps your .emacs
> > customizations are the culprit?
> >

> Hi
>
> I have in fact managaged to solve it, as I was writing this email to you
> I thought of something to check, and found that it was the problem! It
> was a binding I had in my .emacs which had never worked properly so I'd
> stopped using, but I'd left in my .emacs. It bound TAB to a function
> called indent-or-complete which meant that TAB either indented the line,
> or completed it if there was something to complete. Obviously in W32
> Emacs this was causing some problems, and removing that binding has made
> it all work again.

So,  that binding worked for you in TTY mode?  Strange.

If you had to use "emacs -q -nw" to get it to work.  That is a very
revealing piece of information, which would've been helpful when you
posed your question.  Always use "emacs -q" to try to repro your
problem; and if the problem goes away with "-q", suspect your init
files.

> Thanks for your help in solving this problem, and I'll try using W32
> Emacs with Cygwin now. How is it best to set it up so that I can run
> emacs filename in my cygwin terminal and get W32 emacs to load?

Look into gnuclient/gnuserv to run only one emacs session.  You can
send files to emacs in the same way you get cygwin to interoperate with
other "native" programs:

% gnuclient `cygpwth -w <file>`

Emacs understands "-m" paths too.  You only need to do this for unix
style absolute paths, e.b. /usr/* /home/*, it should "just work" for
relative paths.

--
Le