Interactive programs and dumb terminals (emacs shell)

From: john maclean
Subject: Interactive programs and dumb terminals (emacs shell)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:12:25 +0100

Hey Chaps,

I've been using M-x shell recently and getting the hang of the
difference between this shell and say /bin/bash.

My question is in the cases where one installs a program (via say
apt-get -y install foo) which then prompts you for some configuration
settings. The emacs shell is a "dumb terminal" as I understand it and
interactive programs that use ncurses
won't work. Install latex, tetex or xorg and you'll get asked system
settings like your resolution, paper size etc.

How can I over come this? ( Hope that this is all clear).

--
John Maclean  - 07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)