Re: Strange Problem with keypresses on Win32

From: exits funnel
Subject: Re: Strange Problem with keypresses on Win32
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:02:59 -0700

Drew Adams wrote:
    I've been using the native windows Emacs (21.3.1) one Win2000 for
    several months and there has been one intermittently recurring problem.
      Every once in a while, I encounter a situation where the key I press
    and the letter which appears on the screen aren't the same.  For
    instance, I might press the 'a' key and see a 'q' or I might press the
    'z' key and see a 'w'. I'm not sure if the same keys are affected each
    time or even if the 'replacement' letters are the same.  The only
    solution I've found is to shutdown Emacs altogether and restart it.
    This can be more than a bit annoying if I have a lot of buffers open or
    if I'm in the middle of, for instance, a debugging session.  Has anyone
    else experienced this or know what the problem is?  Is there some
    solution short of restarting Emacs?  Thanks in advance for any help
    anyone can offer.

Hmm.. q for a and w for z? Sounds like your keyboard got switched to French
to English or vice versa. In Windows, you can change languages (keyboards)
easily, though I've forgotten the keyboard shortcut. Your task bar might
indicate the current language as Fr or En.

If my guess is right, this has nothing to do with Emacs, and you can get
back to the language you want by clicking the task-bar menu (Fr or En). How
the language got changed might have something to do with Emacs; I don't
know.

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that your theory isn't altogether right because when I switch applications, there are no problems so the issue seems to be limited to Emacs. Still, it might be a step in the right direction. One thing which makes the problem difficult to solve is that I can't reproduce it, it just (seems) to occur randomly. It's possible that it results from my fat fingering of some key combination. I wonder if there is an emacs command to change the keyboard layout to French?

-exits