Using Emacs for C programming

From: Kal
Subject: Using Emacs for C programming
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:35:49 +0200

Hello,

I'm new to Emacs and I'm looking for help to use it as an IDE. I've made some search on google, and found this tool : Xrefactory - http://www.xref-tech.com/xrefactory/more_c_completion.html

This seems to be very interesting. By the way, this plugin cost 399$ and it's closed source. So, is it possible to get something similar to this ?

I know the autocompletion key : M-/ but it works only on words already presents. For example, the first time I type "pri" and press M-/, it won't complete it to "printf". In fact, i'm looking for a way to get emacs working as Anjuta/Eclipse/Netbeans.

Why do I want to use Emacs instead of an IDE ?
- It's light
- I can use GDB with it, playing with Makefile
- Reading my mail
- etc...

When I saw that Emacs was able to do all that things, I've decided to install it and read his integrated tutorial. Now, I want to program, and look for a way to do it well.

Regards,

Kal