Re: compiling emacs/nt from cvs using cygwin tools

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: compiling emacs/nt from cvs using cygwin tools
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:47:53 +0200

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:19:09 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

#> > > In my experience the "nt" folder is for MingW and MSVC, although the
#> > > docs don't explicitly say that.
#> >
#> > they indeed dont say that.
#>
#> I think the docs does say that.  Here's the relevant excerpt from
#> nt/INSTALL:
#>
#>     * Supported development environments
#>
#>       To compile Emacs, you will need either Microsoft Visual C++ 2.0 or
#>       later and nmake, or a Windows port of GCC 2.95 or later with MinGW
#>       and W32 API support and a port of GNU Make.  You can use the Cygwin
#>       ports of GCC, but Emacs requires the MinGW headers and libraries to
#>       build (latest versions of the Cygwin toolkit, at least since v1.3.3,
#>       include the MinGW headers and libraries as an integral part).
#>
#> If you think this leaves the issue not entirely clear, please point
#> out where's the source of ambiguity, and I will try to improve the
#> wording.

It might be worthwhile to add a something like "(if you want to
compile non-native binary using cygwin, read ../INSTALL instead)".

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

A termite walks into a bar room and asks,
"Is the bar tender here?"