Re: Ascii character typeing

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Ascii character typeing
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:20:03 +0200

Brian Elmegaard <brian@rkspeed-rugby.dk> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
>
>> % ascii -e -d -n
>
> Is this a unix shell?

Yes, it's a unix command.  A custom one.  The standard thing is:

   man ascii

But it only gives ascii, while my command displays also non-ascii
characters.

Since we're in gnu.emacs.help, you should rather use an emacs
function.  For example:

(defun ascii ()
  (interactive)
  (loop
     for i from 0 to 255
     do (when (zerop (mod i 8)) (insert "\n"))
        (insert (format " %3d %c  " i i))))

Then you can type M-x ascii RET
in any buffer to see the ISO-8859-1 characters.

(This is not the codes you have  to type with C-q, these depend on the
language environment selected, and if  the coding system of the buffer
doesn't include the iso-8859-1 character, you'll be asked to change it
when you save the buffer).

It's possible to convert to and from coding systems in emacs, but I
don't know the exact functions to use.  I usually do these things with
clisp.

You never feed me.
Perhaps I'll sleep on your face.
That will sure show you.