Re: Ascii character typeing

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Ascii character typeing
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:12:27 -0500

"Brian Elmegaard" <brian@rkspeed-rugby.dk> wrote in message
uejwh2tsy.fsf@rkspeed-rugby.dk">news:uejwh2tsy.fsf@rkspeed-rugby.dk...
> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
>
> > Then you can type M-x ascii RET
> > in any buffer to see the ISO-8859-1 characters.
>
> Thanks for the hint. Do I get something better with quoted characters
> than with enabling input methods? These look as quite strong tools to
> me.

Or if you don't have the loop and do functions, this kludge will work:

(defun ascii ()
  (interactive)
  (setq i 0)
  (while (<= i 255)
        (when (zerop (mod i 8)) (insert "\n"))
        (insert (format " %3d %c  " i i))
        (setq i (1+ i))
  )
) ;; maybe let i would work here instead of setq i.

For some reason it doesn't produce a glyph for chars 128-159, only the
octal code \nnn. This is really out of the ascii range but so is 160 to
255, for which I see the glyphs.

Ed