Emacs\terminal window\Mac OS X 10.4.7

From: Frank Murray
Subject: Emacs\terminal window\Mac OS X 10.4.7
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:52:40 -0400

Hello,

This is a newbie question. I am trying to compile a Java program in the
Emacs editor, using the command "M <meta> x compile."

The <M (Meta)> key on my Mac keyboard is the <Esc> key. When I enter the above command it prints out to the screen "make -k." When I hit <Return>, it comes
back with an error message stating:

 "make -k make
 make: ***No rule to make target 'make'

Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at [whatever the day's date is]"

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, or not giving the correct compile
instructions or commands.

Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

fjm