Re: Flymake from CVS doesn't require

From: Vagn Johansen
Subject: Re: Flymake from CVS doesn't require
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:46:38 +0200

"Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos@gmail.com> writes:

> On 24/07/06, Vagn Johansen <gonz808@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > So, flymake is only usable with CVS Emacs?
>>
>> > Or is there a version for 21.4?
>> >

>> Yes. The 0.2 version
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=77501
>>

> Thanks, do you have any idea on how it works? When I open a C++ file,
> I do M-x flymake-mode but nothing seems to happen. Do I need to do any
> kind of configuration or anything?
> The page doesn't seem to provide much help.

Yes. For C++ you need a makefile with a check-syntax target. flymake
calls the check-syntax target with CHK_SOURCES set to a filename. This is
needed because flymake does not know about your includes files etc. For
same languages (eg. Perl) flymake can work without the Makefile.

Take a look at the example in flymake/samples/make-based/cpp/Makefile
(from flymake-0.2a.zip)

Also, here are two lines from one of my own makefiles

check-syntax:
        g++ -O -Wall -g $(INC) $(CHK_SOURCES)

--
Vagn