Re: How to force emacs to start in graphics mode?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: How to force emacs to start in graphics mode?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:28:08 +0200

Am 27.07.2006 um 07:49 schrieb Anton V. Belyaev:

the old emacs 21, which resides at usr/bin, starts from the
same console in graphics mode.

Then you should check which libraries both emacs executables are using (nm can do that). It might be easier to check the output from the configure step whether X11 could be determined at all. (Therefore *I* am configuring in a shell inside GNU Emacs.)

Since you mentioned in your first eMail that you were compiling with GTK you should watch what your CPU is doing: there are GTK applications that use fontconfig, for example an xterm. Such an application can decide that it's not the right moment now to become visible and starts to rebuild fonts cache files -- it can take many minutes, 15 or 20 or 30 ...

The next is the use of the xft interface -- I think it's experimental, and so this list is not the right one to discuss problems with it. Somewhere inside this distribution you'll find some hints which list is right, hopefully.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _