Re: add-hook problem, file mode specification error?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: add-hook problem, file mode specification error?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:28:41 -0600

David Schneider wrote:
Some time ago I asked how to modify the compile command in emacs, and
several people were kind enough to help me out with the code:

 (add-hook 'perl-mode-hook
         (lambda ()
           (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command)
                (concat "perl -w " (buffer-file-name)))))

which I greatly appreciated.  Recently the command has stopped
working, and I haven't been able to figure out why - perhaps I
accidentally modified my .emacs file or some other configuration
issue.    The message  file mode specification error comes up when
create a compile command for c, but not perl, is there a way to view
the 'hooks' that are in place for a mode, will add-hook return
anything to indicate failure?

`C-h v perl-mode-hook' will tell you whether add-hook did what you
expect.  But I would start by running emacs with the --debug-init
command line option.

--
Kevin