Re: What's wrong with this elisp code?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this elisp code?
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 22:04:59 +0200

Am 04.08.2006 um 21:39 schrieb ken:

I'm glad computers can do text searches.  Otherwise I'd be thinking
myself crazy. After reading through diary-lib.el several times, I just
searched for "defvar diary-entries-list" and this computer agrees with
my eyes and brain-- it's not there.  I'm using emacs version 2.3.1.

Upgrade to GNU Emacs 22.0.50 from CVS (you probably mean that you have an elderly version 21.3.1, 21.4 is the recent one) and learn a bit about CVS, configuring, getting missing software, and making and installing free software!

Is there some other way that this variable could be defined other than
with defvar?

Defvar it in site-start.el! It'll be empty, but it'll be at least there! To be prepared for the future you might like to check first whether the variable is already defined. If not, create it!

There is, hopefully, a node about Emacs Lisp in *info* (if not, you can get it from GNU/FSF). There might be some pointers to answer your question.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me."
                                          -- Hunter S. Thompson