Re: compiling emacs/nt from cvs using cygwin tools

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: compiling emacs/nt from cvs using cygwin tools
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 06:38:54 +0300

> From: "slappysquirrel" <rmfuhrer@verizon.net>
> Date: 6 Aug 2006 15:43:41 -0700
>
> Let me second the request to make the docs more clear.

When did you last look at nt/INSTALL?  If you didn't lately, please
do; see below.

> I have cygwin make 3.81, which is more recent than any entry in the
> compatibility table, so it left me wondering whether it might work.

The table in nt/INSTALL relies on user reports; if you can tell what
you found with the Cygwin port of Make 3.81, please do.  (I expect it
to be worse than the older ports, because Cygwin Make 3.81 drops all
support for d:/foo/bar style of file names, but that's a guess.)

> Anyway, what's the harm in replacing "and a port of GNU Make" with "and
> a port of GNU Make (but not cygwin make)" ? It's a trivial change, and
> at least two people would have been saved some trouble from attempting
> a configuration that's known not to work...

I think it was done already.  nt/INSTALL now says:

     For the development environments based on GNU GCC (MinGW, MSYS,
     Cygwin - but see notes about Cygwin make below), depending on how
     Make is called, it could be:

and

           Note that any version of Make that is compiled with Cygwin
     will only work with Cygwin tools, due to the use of cygwin style
     paths.  This means Cygwin Make is unsuitable for building parts of
     Emacs that need to invoke Emacs itself (leim and "make bootstrap",
     for example).  Also see the Trouble-shooting section below if you
     decide to go ahead and use Cygwin make.