Re: M-0 within keyboard macros

From: medievalrants
Subject: Re: M-0 within keyboard macros
Date: 10 Aug 2006 07:16:24 -0700

Mathias Dahl wrote:
> "medievalrants" <medievalrants@yahoo.ca> writes:
>
> > For instance - I use a macro to locate a chunk of text, and narrow
> > the screen - within the narrowed window, I want to execute a couple
> > of "included" macros M-0 times, returning to the top of the narrowed
> > window then widen the window and close the macro. (For re-execution
> > throughout the file).
>
> Could you try to explain that example in even more detail? Sometimes
> keyboard macros (I think this is what you refer to as "macros") are a
> bit limited. In those cases I usually write a small elisp function to
> help me out. If you haven't tried writing any elisp functions you
> should really start now :), it is not as hard as it might seem.

Yes, I think I need elisp for this - this  issue of M-0 within kbd
macros comes up all the time for me. In this case, I'm doing something
really convoluted involving resetting the numbering register for each
paragraph in a large sgml coded text file. You really don't want to
know. I'm in kind of a hurry now, so I'm repeating keystrokes for each
para to run 2 sets of kbd macros. I hate repeating keystrokes!  When I
get a chance, I'll learn elisp - I've got the O'Reilly book.. The other
option is awk, but I'm not comfortable there yet either.

Thanks for your advice! I think you're right.