Re: Regexp for marking source code

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Regexp for marking source code
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:58:57 +0200

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Never heard of multiline file names, are they really in use?

If people use a file system as a sort of key-lookup system, this can
happen.

>> Probably not important in dired, but I have some healthy matching
>> paranoia.  For example, if some joker creates a file (and its
>> containing directory) named
>> '-rf
>> /
>> guffaw'
>> which is infrequently cleaned up by a sysadmin script, things can get
>> ugly if the script has not been written carefully.
>
> hmmm ...
>
> rm -rf / guffaw
>
> do you mean that rm then erases the root directory
> recursively?  But what is guffaw for?

Just something to put behind '/'.  You can actually write
'-rf
/
'

too, and then the file in the directory "-rf\n" has a file "\n".  Note
that this, in contrast to just spaces in file names, causes damage
even when doing

find /tmp -type f|xargs rm -rf

because then you'll get calls

rm -rf -rf