emacs insert icrement numbers

From: Step0ut
Subject: emacs insert icrement numbers
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 03:41:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I am using emacs as an editor for c++ and latex.
I am using the command Ctrl-xrt to insert rectangles (usually numbers) quite
often.
My question is:
Is it possible to insert numbers that increament in each line?
e.g.  0
       1
       2
       99

Alternatively I was also thinking if it is possible to replace an existing
string (M-x replace-regexp) with an icrement number. It will do the job as
well.