RE: dired in one buffer

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: dired in one buffer
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:26:30 -0700

    > Just thought I'd mention that you can also use `C-x C-v' to
    > do this. Instead of substituting the file or directory where
    > the cursor is, it prompts you for the file or directory name.
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    It escaped my imagination that `C-x C-v' also can be used in dired for
    replacing the directory listing.  Thank you for mentioning this.

Yes, sometimes it helps to take a step back and try stuff you might assume
would not work (as they say, "think out of the box"). Emacs is full of
surprises like this - I wish I had a dollar for every time Emacs surprised
me with something that I wouldn't have thought possible.

The first time I saw Emacs tags in action, for example, it blew my mind.
That was many moon ago, but I had simply never thought of such a
possibility. Likewise, the idea that ordinary keys (e.g. `a', `b') would run
a command (`self-insert-command') just to get themselves inserted in a
buffer. Emacs is a wondrous toy, indeed.

The problem, of course, is that we quickly get into habits, and that can
work against exploration and discovery.