Re: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:14:30 +0200

Am 21.08.2006 um 23:32 schrieb Kevin Rodgers:

    Its value is "~/.history"
    Local in buffer *shell*; global value is
    "~/.emacs.d/PDesktop-23/history"

So you have managed to change its global value, but not the value in
the *shell* buffer.

Ahh! Now I understand how to understand this!

    Documentation:
    *If non-nil, name of the file to read/write input history.
    See also `comint-read-input-ring' and `comint-write-input-ring'.
This variable is buffer-local, and is a good thing to set in mode hooks.
        You can /customize/ this variable.
When I comment the comint-input-ring-file-name setting line, its value is simply "~/.history."

So leave it commented out, and put this in your ~/.emacs file:

(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq comint-input-ring-file-name ; buffer-local
                  (expand-file-name "history" desktop-dirname))))

It works a bit:

        Its value is
        "/Users/pete/.emacs.d/PDesktop-22/history"
        Local in buffer *shell*; global value is nil

but, since I deleted ~/.tcsh_history I have /no/ history at all ... So the history file as set in .emacs and although it exists and although I set comint-input-ring-size to a big value is not read. And neither written in GNU Emacsen 22.0.50 nor 23.0.0 nor 21.2.

Enough to prepare a bug report?

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible concentration."
                                             -Donald Knuth